For more than 30 years, Laquer Urban Clifford & Hodge LLP has focused on the representation of multiemployer benefit trusts subject to ERISA. In those three decades, we have served as legal counsel to the boards of trustees of employee benefit plans with combined assets in excess of 4 billion dollars. We count among our clients some of the country’s largest Taft-Hartley trusts. They include the Southern California and Southern Nevada Operating Engineers Trust Funds, the Southern California IBEW-NECA Trust Funds and their Administrative Corporation, the Southern California Pipe Trades Trust Funds, the United Auto Workers Labor-Management Group Pension Plan, and the Board of Trustees of the Directors Guild of America Producers Pension Plan and Health Plan.
The experience of representing Boards composed of an equal number of Union and Management Trustees has given our firm a unique ability to give impartial legal advice in a complex area of law where there are competing political objectives. In addition, benefits administration requires many complex legal decisions. New legislation, regulatory changes, and compliance issues are on the increase making administrative decisions more complicated. Our attorneys understand the environment in which Taft-Hartley trust fund administrators operate and the vital importance of these trust funds to the individuals involved. We can provide the legal guidance you need to comply with federal and state laws and regulations. Our goal is providing timely advice and service to the trustees of these benefit funds.
ERISA and Taft-Hartley Law Practice Areas
Our firm advises and represents clients in all matters related to ERISA and Taft-Hartley law. These include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing plan documents, amendments, and new legislation that affect the plans
- Preparing plan amendments
- Entitlements to plan benefits
- Advising boards of trustees regarding fiduciary liability and prohibited transaction issues
- Defending boards of trustees and trusts in Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service audits
- Representing boards of trustees and trusts in participant appeals on denials of benefits, disability pension awards, and early and regular pension awards
- Representing boards of trustees and trusts in federal and state lawsuits brought by beneficiaries who have been denied benefits
- Reviewing Qualified Domestic Relations Orders for pension plans
- Representing boards of trustees and trusts in litigation in federal and state courts regarding the collection of unpaid fringe benefit contributions
Our attorneys litigate ERISA and Taft-Hartley matters at every level of the judicial system, from state to federal courtrooms, including the U.S. Supreme Court. With offices in Pasadena, California and Las Vegas, Nevada, our firm is well-positioned to represent clients throughout the West.
Our attorneys work closely with trustees to ensure fiduciary and regulatory compliance, to avoid prohibited transactions and fiduciary liability, to ensure conformity with and enforcement of procedures for collecting delinquent contributions. We represent trustees in complex litigation, appeals, and regulatory audits. Because of our extensive knowledge and diligence we have successfully tried many cases, both jury and non-jury, before both state and federal courts, winning positive verdicts. See our Record of Success page for a list of some of the cases where we have obtained favorable results for our clients.
If you are looking for an attorney to provide skilled, competent legal advice, guidance, or representation in any matter related to ERISA and Taft-Hartley law, we invite you to contact us to schedule an appointment to discuss your case today.